Understanding Chiropractic Care
Many people do not have a strong grasp on exactly what all is entailed in chiropractic care. This lack of knowledge can prevent an individual from seeking treatment that is pain-relieving and life-changing. Chiropractic care can provide a drug-free alternative to healthcare and rehabilitation. Our staff at Diamond chiropractic wants you to know the details of chiropractic care so you can understand all of the benefits of our holistic approach to care.
Just To Be Clear, What Chiropractic Care Isn't
- It isn't painful - while some chiropractic manipulations may cause soreness or temporary discomfort for a day or two, the outcome far outweighs this.
- Popping your back - some people think they can get a fix by having another person pop their back. This is just a scary thing to do. Your spine is an intricate system that can be damaged in the hands of an untrained "helper".
- Chiropractic care isn't just to lessen or eliminate pain - patients receive many other benefits such as maintaining your body's nervous system, alleviating migraines, depression, and anxiety as well as advising on nutrition and regular exercise at home.
- Chiropractors aren't doctors - this is simply not true. Chiropractors receive years of education and hold a medical designation of DC versus MD. Education includes neurology, nutrition, prenatal, and pediatric studies. They are also required to do clinical residencies, pass board exams and be licensed in the state they are practicing.
- Not just for auto injury victims or adults - Spinal health is important for everyone, even children.
So What Is Chiropractic Care?
- A chiropractor will take a patient history and do a general exam, much like going to your primary care doctor. This is to ensure that the doctor has a look at the big picture as well as the details and is aware of any physical limitations. For example, if you have osteoporosis, manipulations will be done more gently to protect the bones.
- Digital X-rays are usually done to determine if there are any injuries or other health concerns before treatment is started.
- The doctor will use his/her hands to apply pressure to areas where there is pain and inflammation. This will bring the joint back into its normal position and allow for easier movement.
- Any sections of the spine that are not in alignment will be brought into alignment. This non-invasive procedure can often make all the difference in the world in pain levels all over the body.
- Counseling on nutrition, lifestyle changes, and exercises that can be done at home are more benefits of chiropractic care.